Tuesday, August 30, 2011




I really love almost everything Paule Marrot does. I don't know why either, it's not particulary my style. It doesn't look like anything in my house, my mother's, sister's, grandmother's, or aunt's, for that matter. But maybe that's why I am so attracted to it. 

I'm sure you are familiar with the first painting, "Feathers", as it is constantly popping up on blogs and in magazines. I've often wondered who was the mind behind the textiles and was hard pressed to find much information on her. What I did find is that Marrot was a Parisian textile designer, engraver and painter. Known for her two-dimensional, hand-painted, mostly floral designs, she became popular in the US  after World War II. She is often considered an art-deco artist for her abstract, geometric work.

These days, companies from Nike to Anthropologie continue to spread the art by using her designs and selling her work.





No comments:

Post a Comment