Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Goodbye, Mr. Swatch



As a young girl of the '80s I definitely had my fair share of these wondrous timepieces. The Swatch introduced me to one of my favorite accessories. And since the days of my first one I haven't gone a second without a watch. My first Swatch was a bluish-green with fish on it, and I absolutely loved it. 


Turns out, the Swatch brand has quite a history. One I had never read about until the death of Nicolas Hayek, the founder of the Swatch brand, on Monday. Turns out Mr. Hayek was quite the man. He is credited for saving the Switzerland watch industry in the early '80s when he introduced the brand. The Switz watch industry, known for its perfectly crafted analog watches,  was suffering as a result of public taste turning to digital watches and the introduction of the Japanese watch industry. That's when Hayek stepped in and reorganized the group and introduced the Swatch. It was cheap to produce, appealing to the eye and lightweight, making it a great collectors item; for the first time people considered buying multiple watches. AND the rest is history, as they say. Thanks to Mr. Hayek for turning the industry around and bringing us these practical and stylish (dare I say timeless?) accessories!

(check out that double-watch style)




Photo credits:
1. Fashionista.com
2. New York Times.com

No comments:

Post a Comment